If you haven’t already heard of a little artists’ retreat and shelter off Masterman Road in East Ham, allow me to introduce you to Red Door Studios.
For those of you looking for some creative space in the outer east of London, this is the place for you. Formerly a glass factory, Red Door Studios has been running for a few years and offers a range of activities, courses, general creative space and shelter for those of you inclined to avoid the bustle of the high street.
So to those of you who thought the Tracy Emin-style fly-tipping was the only creativity around East Ham, then think again. This article looks at the range of activities currently on offer and a rundown of what is to come.
- Life drawing – This takes place every other Tuesday and all ages and all abilities are welcome. All you need is a sketchbook and a pencil. £5 entry.
- Yoga – For those of you that like to stretch and get some zen and meditation in the middle of the working week, an hour-long yoga class is offered for £7 on a Wednesday and Thursday, 7-8pm, by Laura Brady to some very chilled music
- Live music nights – on the first Saturday of the month Red Doors will host live music. As a throwback to Red Doors’ heritage, this night is called the Glass Factory. The evening showcases live acts in intimate surroundings. A folk session/live music is also in the pipeline for the third Saturday of the month.
- A summer and winter fayre – selling seasonal bits and bobs and crafts (the winter fayre this year is on Saturday 12 December).
- Red Door Café – open on Saturdays 12-6pm. This café serving teas, cakes and sandwiches will be running up until 12 December and then will be reopening from spring 2016 onwards. A handy little retreat on a Saturday afternoon.
- Knitting Group – takes place every Tuesday morning 9:30-11am.
- East Edge Cake Club – the East Edge Cake Club is a social group of Newham residents who meet at Red Doors on a regular basis to enjoy homemade cakes and a compulsory cup of tea. For dates refer to the Facebook page.
For details on all of the above refer to the Red Door Facebook page.
It doesn’t stop there and there are a number of ideas for future events in the pipeline, including…
- Monthly themed film night – next one on 29 November. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wine tasting
- Poetry evenings
- Independent film showings
- Yard sale
- The odd party!
At all other times Red Doors is available for meetings or can be hired for private parties/workshops/classes. There is some studio space available at the moment too.
True to artistic form these ideas are always flowing and changing. Watch this space for more developments….
By Greatfield Residents Association member Naomi